Mahesh

Mahesh Padmanabhan  |120 Answers  |Ask -

Tax Expert - Answered on Jun 06, 2023

Mahesh Padmanabhan has specialised in payroll, personal and corporate taxation for more than two and a half decades, enabling him to provide practical, realistic and correct advice to his clients.
He is a member of The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India and has a degree in cost accounting from the Institute of Cost Accountants of India.
RAJIV Question by RAJIV on May 26, 2023Translate

Hello sir I m a salaried person of amount Rs. 10 lacks/ anum, what is the correct way to use of my salary with minimise the tax liability also. I am investing only LIC PPF,MF, & STOCKS ONLY & interested in property & gold. Also suggest the percentage by allocation in DIFFERENT tools with expense also.

Ans: Hi Rajiv
You may opt for the new tax regime to minimize your tax outgo there by freeing up your options to invest wisely instead of from tax saving perspective. You would need to chat with a financial planner (also available on Rediff Gurus) to understand the way forward on meeting your investment goals

Hardik

Hardik Parikh  |106 Answers  |Ask -

Tax, Mutual Fund Expert - Answered on Aug 22, 2023

Asked by Anonymous - Aug 21, 2023Translate
I work for a private company with annual CTC of Rs 17.6 lakh, What are the investments which I must do in order to save the tax, Currently I have 4 Life Insurance policies with premium Rs 1 lakh Senior Citizen health insurance of Rs 25k I have a 3 year old daughter, this year I m planning for Sukhanya Samruddhi of Rs 1.5 lakh
Ans: Hi,

Given your annual CTC of Rs 17.6 lakh and your current investments, here are some tax-saving investment options you can consider for the financial year 2023-24:

1. Equity Linked Savings Scheme (ELSS): This is a type of mutual fund that not only helps you save tax but also gives you an opportunity to grow your money. They have a lock-in period of 3 years.

2. Public Provident Fund (PPF): You've mentioned planning for Sukanya Samriddhi for your daughter, which is a great choice. In addition to that, you can also consider investing in PPF. It's a long-term investment option that offers tax-free interest.

3. Unit Linked Insurance Plan (ULIP): Since you already have life insurance policies, you might want to look into ULIPs. They offer both insurance and investment under a single integrated plan.

4. National Savings Certificate: This is another safe investment option that you can consider.

5. New Pension Scheme (NPS): It's a voluntary, long-term retirement savings scheme designed to enable systematic savings. It is a mix of equity, fixed deposits, corporate bonds, liquid funds, and government funds.

6. Fixed Deposits: Some fixed deposits offer tax-saving benefits. However, the interest earned might be taxable.

7. Senior Citizen Saving Scheme (SCSS): Since you've mentioned senior citizen health insurance, if you or your family members qualify, SCSS can be a good option. It offers a good interest rate.

Remember, the key is to diversify your investments and not put all your money into one basket. It's also essential to keep in mind the lock-in periods, returns, and tax implications of each investment option.

I hope this helps!

Financial Planner - Answered on Mar 03, 2024

Asked by Anonymous - Mar 03, 2024Translate
I'm contemplating a career change in my late 30s, earning Rs 14 lakhs annually. How can I navigate this transition while ensuring financial stability and working towards long-term goals such as retirement?
Ans: Transitioning to a new career in your late 30s while maintaining financial stability and planning for long-term goals like retirement requires careful consideration and planning. Here are some steps you can take to navigate this transition effectively:

1. Assess Your Skills and Interests: Reflect on your skills, interests, and values to identify potential new career paths that align with your strengths and passions. Consider seeking career counseling or taking career assessment tests to explore different options.

2. Research Potential Careers: Conduct thorough research on the industries and roles you're interested in pursuing. Look into job market demand, salary potential, and growth opportunities to ensure your chosen career path is financially viable.

3. Skill Development and Education: Determine if you need to acquire new skills or education to transition into your desired field. This could involve enrolling in courses, obtaining certifications, or pursuing higher education such as a degree or specialised training programme.

4. Financial Planning: Evaluate your current financial situation and create a budget to understand your income, expenses, and savings. Factor in any potential changes in income or expenses associated with your career transition. Consider setting aside an emergency fund to cover unexpected expenses.

5. Debt Management: If you have any outstanding debts, develop a plan to manage and pay them off efficiently. Prioritise high-interest debts like credit card debt while maintaining minimum payments on other loans.

6. Retirement Planning: Review your retirement savings accounts like the EPF, and assess whether you're on track to meet your long-term retirement goals. Consider consulting a financial advisor to develop a personalised retirement plan based on your age, income, risk tolerance, and retirement objectives.

7. Health Insurance and Benefits: Evaluate the health insurance and other benefits offered by your new employer, if applicable. Ensure you understand the coverage provided and any associated costs. If transitioning to self-employment or freelancing, research options for obtaining health insurance coverage independently.

8. Networking and Building Connections: Network with professionals in your desired industry to gain insights, advice, and potential job opportunities. Attend industry events, join professional associations, and leverage online networking platforms like LinkedIn to expand your network.

9. Side Hustle or Freelancing: Consider starting a side hustle or freelancing in your desired field while maintaining your current job. This can provide additional income, valuable experience, and a smoother transition into your new career.

10. Evaluate Risks and Rewards: Assess the risks and rewards associated with your career change, including potential income fluctuations, job stability, and work-life balance. Be prepared to adapt and make adjustments as needed throughout the transition process.

By following these steps and carefully planning your career transition, you can navigate the change while maintaining financial stability and working towards your long-term goals, including retirement.
Dr Karthiyayini

Dr Karthiyayini Mahadevan  |599 Answers  |Ask -

General Physician - Answered on Mar 03, 2024