Tax Expert - Answered on Dec 06, 2023

Mihir Tanna has more than 10 years of experience in direct taxation, including filing income tax returns.
Aslam Question by Aslam on Aug 11, 2023Translate

I have filled ITR manually for A.Y 2013-14 claiming Refund of Rs 500000 ,the return was not processed within the due date by ITO, in mean time several times i am demanding for refund but no valuable answer was given, what further remedies i can opt for?

Ans: Please contact CPC and try to identify reason for the not processing return and confirm if Jurisdictional officer have power to process the return or CPC.

1800 103 0025 (or)

1800 419 0025

+91-80-46122000

+91-80-61464700

Financial Planner - Answered on Sep 20, 2023

Dear Sir I have filled ITR and there is refund 15003 I filled ITR on 02 July and did not E-verified due to Pan Card Blocked by Govt so after file ITR i sent its signed copy to Bangalore on 3 July that showing verified on 10 Aug and i Have paid 1000 on 12 Aug to link pan card and Aadhar card and got linked then i received mail on 12 Aug evening to E-verify return but there was no option to E-verify return . today is 09-08-2023 but we have not received refund yet Please suggest right process 2-3 days back i have complained in grievance of ITR .Please suggest right process . status on Dashboard showing Return Filed on 2 july and Return verified on 10 July only .....
Ans: ITRs can be filed without having the Aadhar-PAN link completed; however, such ITR filings would render the user ineligible to avail refunds and interest on such tax refunds till the time PAN is linked with Aadhar.
• After e-filing your return, you must verify it. Your return filing process is not complete unless you do so.
• The timeline for e-verification of returns filed after 1st August 2022 is 30 days from the date of submitting the return.
• As per the IT department, if the ITR filed is verified (electronically or by sending ITR-V to ITD) before the time limit of 30 days, then the date on which the return was filed will be considered as the date of furnishing ITR.
• In the offline verification case, the speed post-dispatch date of the duly verified ITR-V will be taken into account to determine the 30-day period starting from the day the income tax return was electronically transmitted.
As per the data provided by you, your return has been verified within the timeline of 30 days. Normally, it takes 20-45 days for the refund to reach you after filing and verifying your ITR but your Aadhar and PAN got linked on 12th August. The delay in refund is due to it.

We suggest you wait for some more time and regularly check the “My Pending Action option” in your income tax account portal.

I will be retiring in October 2024 and expecting a retirement corpus of Rs 80 lakh. I would be spending 60 per cent of this amount on my son’s medical admission and studies. How should I invest the rest in different sectors to earn monthly income of nearly about 40,000?
Ans: Given your retirement corpus of Rs 80 lakh and your plan to allocate 60% of it towards your son's medical admission and studies, which amounts to Rs 48 lakh, you'll have Rs 32 lakh remaining for investment. To generate a monthly income of approximately Rs 40,000, you'll need to carefully plan your investment strategy. Here's a suggested approach:

1. Assess Your Risk Tolerance: Before investing, consider your risk tolerance, investment horizon, and financial goals. Since you're retiring soon and seeking a regular monthly income, it's advisable to focus on relatively stable and income-generating investment options.

2. Allocate Funds: With Rs 32 lakh available for investment, you can allocate the amount across different investment instruments to achieve diversification and manage risk.

3 Income-Generating Investments: To generate a monthly income of Rs 40,000, you'll need investments that offer regular payouts. Here are some options to consider:

a. Senior Citizen Savings Scheme (SCSS): This government-backed savings scheme offers quarterly interest payouts. You can invest up to Rs 15 lakh individually and earn regular income at a fixed interest rate, currently around 7.4% per annum.

b. Post Office Monthly Income Scheme (POMIS): Another government-backed scheme that provides monthly income. The maximum investment limit is Rs 4.5 lakh for an individual account and Rs 9 lakh for a joint account. The current interest rate is around 6.6% per annum.

c. Fixed Deposits (FDs): Consider investing a portion of your corpus in fixed deposits offered by banks or financial institutions. Opt for monthly interest payout FDs to generate regular income.

d. Debt Mutual Funds: Invest a portion in debt mutual funds that focus on generating steady income with relatively lower risk compared to equity funds. Choose funds with a track record of consistent returns and low expense ratios.

4. Systematic Withdrawal Plan (SWP): For investments in mutual funds or other growth-oriented instruments, consider setting up a systematic withdrawal plan. SWP allows you to withdraw a fixed amount regularly, which can serve as your monthly income.

5. Emergency Fund: Set aside a portion of your corpus as an emergency fund to cover unexpected expenses or contingencies. This fund should be easily accessible and parked in liquid or low-risk instruments like savings accounts or liquid funds.

6. Review and Adjust: Regularly review your investment portfolio to ensure it remains aligned with your financial goals and income requirements. Adjust your asset allocation and investment strategy as needed based on changing market conditions and personal circumstances.

It's crucial to consult with a financial advisor or planner who can provide personalised advice based on your specific situation and goals. They can help you create a comprehensive retirement plan and investment strategy tailored to your needs, risk tolerance, and income requirements. Additionally, consider tax implications on your investment income and consult with a tax advisor to optimise your tax efficiency.