Financial Planner - Answered on Sep 20, 2023

Colonel Sanjeev Govila (retd) is the founder of Hum Fauji Initiatives, a financial planning company dedicated to the armed forces personnel and their families.
Rohit Question by Rohit on Aug 10, 2023Hindi

I filed my return on 14 july with a refunf ofRs 620 , Again due to some mistake I revised return on 26 july and also deposited 3000 with a refund of 300, Since my original has been processed with refund of 620, . Since my refund has already processed therefore shall i have to deposite Rs 320 before processing of revised or they will intimate demand ?

Ans: Since you have already filed the revised return, we will have to wait for it to get processed from the IT department. In case they find any discrepancies, they will raise a demand from you. As of now, no action is required from your end.

Tax Expert - Answered on Sep 29, 2022

I am a retired male senior citizen. I filed my income tax return for AY 2022-23 in form ITR-1 on 22nd July 2022 with NET Taxable income of 427200 with a mention of 5070 for rebate under 80 D towards my mediclaim insurance annual premium. Before doing the e-verification on line through Aadhaar linkage I noticed that my actual mediclaim insurance premium is 7070 which I had erroneously mistyped as 5070. So instead of e-verifying my above erroneous filing I filed a Revised Return on 20th August 2022 correcting the 80 D rebate claim to 7070 and the Net Taxable income became 425200. I e-verified this Revised Return immediately on line through Aadhaar linkage. Within 2 days of my filing this Revised Return I got an assessment Email from Income tax department where they have treated this Revised Return as Late filed Original Return and imposed a late fee penalty of 1000 and issued a Refund Order of my TDS. As such on my Net Taxable income of 427200 as per Original Return or 425200 as per Revised Return Income Tax is '0'. It appears that since I didn't e-verify my Original Return they have treated Revised Return as Late filed Original Return and imposed late fee of 1000. Now I am getting repeated emails from Income Tax department that I have not e-verified my Original Return of 22nd July. Can I e-verify my Original Return now and claim Refund of the 1000 Late Fee deducted by them? Shall be grateful for guidance and advice.
Ans: Return is taken up for processing only when it is verified. As revised return is verified before verifying original return, revised return is considered as original return. So in my view, even if original return is verified now, late fee will not be waived off as original return is considered to be filed after due date.

I am a 27 years old Software Engineer. I had a fixed income of 1 Lakh per month, out of which my expenses were 25k to parents, 10k to spouse and 15k monthly personal expenses. After all expenses I would save 50k per month. I recently got a job offer of 42 LPA, so my income now is 3.5L per month. I don't intend to change my lifestyle, so my expenses would still be 50k per month, and I intend to save around 3L per month. I had invested in Equity Funds once a small amount of 10k, and it had given decent returns so I would like to know how I can best utilise my new income going forward from here, not just in equity funds but everywhere, where I can invest that will help me grow. I don't have any emi or loans.
Ans: You are a 27-year-old software engineer.

Your new job offers Rs 42 LPA, so your income is Rs 3.5L per month.

Your monthly expenses are Rs 50k, allowing you to save Rs 3L per month.

You have previously invested Rs 10k in equity funds with good returns.

Financial Goals and Planning
Priority: Build an emergency fund.

Liquidity: Keep 6-12 months' expenses in a savings account or liquid funds.

Purpose: Provides financial security during emergencies.

Diversified Investment Strategy
Growth Potential: Allocate Rs 1L to equity mutual funds.

Fund Types: Invest in large-cap, mid-cap, and diversified equity funds.

SIPs: Continue with systematic investment plans for rupee cost averaging.

Stability: Allocate Rs 50k to debt mutual funds.

Safety: Provides stability and reduces overall portfolio risk.

Returns: Offers better returns than traditional savings accounts.

Balanced Mutual Funds
Hybrid Approach: Invest Rs 50k in balanced or hybrid funds.

Balance Risk: These funds balance equity and debt, offering moderate risk and returns.

ELSS Funds
Tax Benefits: Invest Rs 50k in ELSS funds for tax savings under Section 80C.

Equity Exposure: Provides equity exposure with tax benefits.

PPF and NPS
Long-Term Security: Invest Rs 25k in Public Provident Fund (PPF).

Retirement Planning: Consider investing Rs 25k in the National Pension System (NPS) for retirement planning.

Gold and Digital Gold
Diversification: Invest Rs 20k in gold or digital gold.

Hedge Against Inflation: Gold acts as a hedge against inflation.

Adequate Cover: Ensure you have adequate health insurance coverage for yourself and dependents.

Additional Coverage: Consider a top-up plan if needed.

Term Insurance
Life Cover: Consider a term insurance plan for financial security for your family.

Adequate Sum: Ensure the cover is sufficient to support your dependents in case of unforeseen events.

Regular Review and Adjustments
Annual Financial Review
Performance Check: Review your portfolio annually.

Rebalance: Adjust your investments based on performance and changing goals.

Your new income allows for substantial savings and investment opportunities. Diversify your investments across equity, debt, and balanced mutual funds. Consider tax-saving instruments like ELSS and PPF. Ensure adequate insurance coverage for health and life. Regularly review and adjust your portfolio to stay aligned with your financial goals.

Samraat

Samraat Jadhav  |1870 Answers  |Ask -

Stock Market Expert - Answered on Jul 19, 2024