Dev

Dev Ashish  |48 Answers  |Ask -

MF Expert, Financial Planner - Answered on Jul 15, 2023

Dev Ashish is a fee-only SEBI-registered investment advisor with over 15 years of active experience in the stock market. In 2011, he founded StableInvestor, a platform for personal finance and financial planning.
He provides professional fee-only investment advisory services to small and high networth individuals in order to help them achieve their financial goals.

Do you have a budget?

Ans: Kindly elaborate on the question.

Financial Planner - Answered on Jan 15, 2024

Asked by Anonymous - Jan 15, 2024Hindi
How do I create a budget and manage my expenses effectively? The problem is I am unable to save much from my salary every month. My monthly income is Rs 45,000. My wife and I together earn Rs 72,000. We have two school-going children aged 7, 12 and their monthly expenses -- school, tuitions, etc -- come to around Rs 15,000. I invest in MFs via SIPs. Together we invest Rs 18,000. The rest of the money goes into maintaining our lifestyle and household expenses. I am 36 and my wife is 35.
Ans: Creating a budget and effectively managing expenses is crucial for financial stability. Here's a step-by-step guide to help you:

1. Track Your Expenses:

Start by tracking all your expenses for a month. This includes bills, groceries, transportation, entertainment, and miscellaneous spending. Use apps, spreadsheets, or notebooks to record every rupee spent.

2. Categorise Expenses:

Classify your expenses into fixed and variable categories. Fixed expenses include rent or mortgage, utilities, insurance, loan payments, and tuition fees. Variable expenses include groceries, dining out, entertainment, and discretionary spending.

3. Create a Budget:

Based on your tracked expenses, create a realistic budget. Allocate a specific amount to each category, ensuring your total expenses do not exceed your income. Prioritise essential categories like housing, utilities, and education.

4. Emergency Fund:

Allocate a portion of your income towards building an emergency fund. Aim for at least 3-6 months' worth of living expenses. This fund acts as a financial safety net for unexpected situations.

5. Review and Adjust:

Regularly review your budget and compare it with your actual spending. Identify areas where you overspend and adjust your budget accordingly. Be flexible, especially if your income or expenses change.

6. Save and Invest:

Given that you are already investing in mutual funds through SIPs, continue doing so. Ensure that your investments align with your financial goals. Consider diversifying your portfolio and consulting with a financial advisor for personalised advice.

7. Debt Management:

If you have any high-interest debts, prioritize paying them off. Reducing debt can free up more money for saving and investing.

8. Cut Unnecessary Expenses:

Identify non-essential expenses that can be reduced or eliminated. This may involve cutting down on dining out, entertainment, or subscription services.

9. Involve Your Family:

Discuss financial goals and budgeting with your wife. Collaborate on decisions regarding expenses, savings, and investments. This ensures everyone is on the same page and working towards common financial objectives.

10. Plan for Future Goals:

Identify your long-term financial goals, such as buying a house, children's education, and retirement. Adjust your budget and investments to align with these goals.

11. Seek Professional Advice:

Consider consulting a financial advisor to get personalised guidance based on your specific situation and goals.

12. Stay Disciplined:

Stick to your budget and financial plan. Discipline is key to achieving your financial goals and maintaining a healthy financial situation.

By following these steps, you can create a comprehensive budget and improve your ability to save and invest for the future. Adjustments may be needed over time, so stay proactive in managing your finances.