Tax Expert - Answered on Dec 06, 2023

Mihir Tanna has more than 10 years of experience in direct taxation, including filing income tax returns.
Janaki Question by Janaki on Jul 02, 2023Translate

Can we divide our income of interest income of TD to file IT return

Ans: Can you please elaborate your query

Hardik

Hardik Parikh  |106 Answers  |Ask -

Tax, Mutual Fund Expert - Answered on Jul 26, 2023

Asked by Anonymous - Jul 26, 2023Translate
My interest on FD has been taxed at 10% TDS already . Why does it have to be taxed again during the return filing . Example of interest is 2 lakhs and TDS is 20000.
Ans: Hello there,

I understand your concern about the double taxation on your Fixed Deposit (FD) interest. Let me clarify this for you.

The Tax Deducted at Source (TDS) is a means of collecting income tax in India and is governed under the Indian Income Tax Act of 1961. When it comes to FDs, banks deduct TDS when your interest income exceeds a certain threshold in a financial year. As of now, this limit is Rs. 40,000 for non-senior citizens and Rs. 50,000 for senior citizens.

Now, coming to your question, the TDS deducted by the bank is not the final tax. It's just a part of the total income tax you're liable to pay for the year. The bank deducts TDS at 10% (if PAN is provided) on the interest earned, but your final tax liability could be at 5%, 20%, or 30% depending on your total income for the year.

So, when you file your Income Tax Return (ITR), you need to add the interest income from the FD to your total income for the year. The tax on this total income is then calculated based on the income tax slabs. If the total tax calculated is more than the TDS already deducted, you'll have to pay the difference. Conversely, if the total tax is less than the TDS, you can claim a refund.

For example, in your case, if your total income including the FD interest falls under the 30% tax bracket, you'll need to pay an additional 20% tax on the FD interest (30% total tax minus 10% TDS already deducted).

I hope this clarifies your doubt. Please consult with a tax advisor or chartered accountant for personalized advice based on your total income and tax slab.

Best regards.

I will be retiring in October 2024 and expecting a retirement corpus of Rs 80 lakh. I would be spending 60 per cent of this amount on my son’s medical admission and studies. How should I invest the rest in different sectors to earn monthly income of nearly about 40,000?
Ans: Given your retirement corpus of Rs 80 lakh and your plan to allocate 60% of it towards your son's medical admission and studies, which amounts to Rs 48 lakh, you'll have Rs 32 lakh remaining for investment. To generate a monthly income of approximately Rs 40,000, you'll need to carefully plan your investment strategy. Here's a suggested approach:

1. Assess Your Risk Tolerance: Before investing, consider your risk tolerance, investment horizon, and financial goals. Since you're retiring soon and seeking a regular monthly income, it's advisable to focus on relatively stable and income-generating investment options.

2. Allocate Funds: With Rs 32 lakh available for investment, you can allocate the amount across different investment instruments to achieve diversification and manage risk.

3 Income-Generating Investments: To generate a monthly income of Rs 40,000, you'll need investments that offer regular payouts. Here are some options to consider:

a. Senior Citizen Savings Scheme (SCSS): This government-backed savings scheme offers quarterly interest payouts. You can invest up to Rs 15 lakh individually and earn regular income at a fixed interest rate, currently around 7.4% per annum.

b. Post Office Monthly Income Scheme (POMIS): Another government-backed scheme that provides monthly income. The maximum investment limit is Rs 4.5 lakh for an individual account and Rs 9 lakh for a joint account. The current interest rate is around 6.6% per annum.

c. Fixed Deposits (FDs): Consider investing a portion of your corpus in fixed deposits offered by banks or financial institutions. Opt for monthly interest payout FDs to generate regular income.

d. Debt Mutual Funds: Invest a portion in debt mutual funds that focus on generating steady income with relatively lower risk compared to equity funds. Choose funds with a track record of consistent returns and low expense ratios.

4. Systematic Withdrawal Plan (SWP): For investments in mutual funds or other growth-oriented instruments, consider setting up a systematic withdrawal plan. SWP allows you to withdraw a fixed amount regularly, which can serve as your monthly income.

5. Emergency Fund: Set aside a portion of your corpus as an emergency fund to cover unexpected expenses or contingencies. This fund should be easily accessible and parked in liquid or low-risk instruments like savings accounts or liquid funds.

6. Review and Adjust: Regularly review your investment portfolio to ensure it remains aligned with your financial goals and income requirements. Adjust your asset allocation and investment strategy as needed based on changing market conditions and personal circumstances.

It's crucial to consult with a financial advisor or planner who can provide personalised advice based on your specific situation and goals. They can help you create a comprehensive retirement plan and investment strategy tailored to your needs, risk tolerance, and income requirements. Additionally, consider tax implications on your investment income and consult with a tax advisor to optimise your tax efficiency.