Mahesh

Mahesh Padmanabhan  |120 Answers  |Ask -

Tax Expert - Answered on Feb 22, 2023

Mahesh Padmanabhan has specialised in payroll, personal and corporate taxation for more than two and a half decades, enabling him to provide practical, realistic and correct advice to his clients.
He is a member of The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India and has a degree in cost accounting from the Institute of Cost Accountants of India.
Adarsh Question by Adarsh on Feb 01, 2023Translate

Is there any change in surcharge for annual income between 50 lakhs to 2 crores?

Ans: Hi Adarsh
The surcharge for taxable income of Rs. 50 Lakhs to One Crore is 10% and between One Crore and Two Crores is 15%

Sir can u list the income exemptions which are eligible under revised New tax regime
Ans: The answer to your query is as below. I have simply copied it from another website, for your information.

With the revised new tax regime, several exemptions and deductions have been removed as below:-

1. Leave Travel Allowance
2. House rent allowance depending upon salary structure and rent paid
3. Professional tax paid by a maximum of Rs. 2,500/-
4. Deductions available under Section 80TTA and 80TTB that is interest from Savings Account/Deposits
5. Tax deduction on entertainment allowance and deduction on professional tax for government employees
6. The interest amount payable on home loan for a self-occupied or any vacant property u/s 24 maximum deductions of Rs 2 lakhs
7. Deduction of Rs 15,000 allowed from family pension under clause (ii) (a) Section 57
8. Special Allowances that are provided under Section 10(14) except:
9. Transport allowance granted to a disabled employee
10. Conveyance allowance
11. Any allowances granted for meeting the cost of travel on tour or transfer of an employee
12. Daily allowance
13. Perquisites
14. Business owners and professionals will lose the exemption to Special Economic Zones under Section 10AA.
15. Deductions under Section 32AD, 33AB, 33ABA, 35(1)(ii),35(1)(ii( (a), 35(1)(iii), 35(2AA), 35AD and 35CCC of the Income Tax Act.
16. Options of additional depreciation under Section 32(ii) (a) of the Income Tax Act
17. The option to carry forward or unabsorbed depreciation of earlier years
18. Tax-saving investment deductions under Income Tax Act , Chapter VI-A 80C, 80D, 80E, 80CCC, 80CCD, 80D, 80DD, 80DDB, 80EE, 80EEA, 80EEB, 80G, 80GG, 80GGA, 80GGC, 80IA, 80-IAB, 80-IAC, 80-IB, 80-IBA, etc. These tax-saving investment options include ELSS, NPS, PPF tax relief on mediclaim insurance premium, FDR, dependents who are differently-abled, expenses for specified medical treatments, interest on education loan and many more.

Exemptions that remain prevalent in the new revised system, that you can claim:

1. Standard deduction for salaried and pension class of Rs 50,000.
2. Interest received on Post Office Savings Account under Section 10(15)(i) the maximum amount of Rs. 3,500.
3. Gratuity received from employer up to a maximum amount of Rs. 20 Lacs.
4. Amount received from Life Insurance Policy on maturity under Section 10(10D).
5. Employer contribution in NPS or EPF up to 12% of salary and interest on EPF up to 9.5% p.a.
6. Income from Life Insurance.
7. Income from agricultural farming.
8. Standard reduction on rent.
9. Retrenchment compensation.
10. Leave encashment on retirement.
11. VRS proceeds up to Rs 5 lacs.
12. Retirement cum death benefit.
13. Money received as a scholarship for education.
14. Interest and maturity amount of PPF or Sukanya Smriddhi Yojna.
15. Commutation of Pension.
16. The new tax regime offers you to claim deductions u/s 80CCD(2) (employers contribution in notified pension scheme) and 80JJAA (for new employment).

Dear sir, I am currently 45 and just off from my dependents i.e., my 3 sisters out of which 2 were expecting my help to settle on their life - both my sisters off from their burden to an extent as their son started working and daughters were married to a decent families. I helped them by helping on their studies, marriage of my niece and assisted my nephew to buy a property (provided the advance or initial payment of 4 lacs). I haven't saved anything for my kids yet except a house , some jewellery about 50 sovereign and 1/2 ground land. My sisters and mother doesn't feel complete but I have informed it is not happening because I need to looks at my 2 kids 11 and 6. Besides, my wife is super supportive and never disputes or raised concerns. The ask is I have been working since childhood like 16 so feeling tired at times so I am planning to start my own businesses but still I am feeling jittery as I didn't save much for their studies etc. I am working in ites services so I feel like that I have 5 years max ahead. No politics in the office but I am stuck with no major opportunities. Please guide me on how to put a perspective and lead a clear way ahead as I am totally confused to be honest. Thanks in advance and please write back as this is my second time asking for suggestions.
Ans: It would really be good to answer you but I am confused as what to tell you because you have not mentioned any of your financial goals as such, I may not be of any help to you for your social obligations