Subrata Question by Subrata on May 15, 2024Hindi

I am 64, retired from private sector. I have SCSS & FD of 57-L - SCSS maturing mid-2025. I had invested jointly most of my savings in MF-sector in 2017(@57) - which has grown thrice since. Since my wife's sudden demise (2019), I had been redeeming considerable amounts & topping-up both my son's portfolios, at intervals(though both are 50-50 nominees to all my portfolios). Kindly advice if the above process is better than making a will with details ? Do you have to register the will ? What is the procedure ?

Ans: Losing a spouse is not just emotionally challenging but can also impact your financial plans. Firstly, my sincere condolences for your loss. Your proactive approach in reassessing your financial strategy reflects wisdom and foresight.

Reviewing Current Strategies

You've opted for a hands-on approach, redirecting funds from mutual funds to support your son's portfolios. While this aids in wealth transfer and may provide comfort, it's essential to evaluate its long-term efficacy.

Comparing Strategies: Direct Support vs. Will

Direct Support:

Immediate assistance to beneficiaries.
Offers control and satisfaction in assisting loved ones directly.
Potential tax implications and estate distribution complexities.
Will Preparation:

Comprehensive documentation of wishes.
Facilitates smooth wealth transfer.
May involve legal costs and probate delays.
Advantages and Disadvantages

Direct Support:

Advantages: Provides immediate financial assistance, fosters family harmony.
Disadvantages: Potential tax consequences, lack of legal protection, unequal distribution risks.
Will Preparation:

Advantages: Ensures assets are distributed as per your wishes, minimizes family conflicts.
Disadvantages: Legal expenses, potential probate delays, lack of immediate support.
Recommendation

Considering your current approach, while supporting your son is commendable, it's prudent to complement it with a comprehensive will. A will ensures your entire estate is distributed according to your desires, minimizing confusion and potential disputes among beneficiaries.

Procedure for Will Preparation

Consult a Professional: Seek assistance from a legal expert or estate planner to draft a will tailored to your requirements.
Documentation: Gather all relevant information regarding your assets, liabilities, and beneficiaries.
Drafting: Work with the professional to outline your wishes clearly and comprehensively.
Review and Finalization: Carefully review the draft to ensure accuracy and alignment with your intentions.
Execution: Sign the will in the presence of witnesses as per legal requirements.
Storage: Store the will securely and inform trusted individuals of its location.

In conclusion, while your current approach of direct support to your son has its merits, complementing it with a will ensures comprehensive estate planning. This dual strategy provides immediate assistance while safeguarding your legacy and minimizing potential conflicts. Consultation with a certified financial planner and legal expert can further refine your strategy to align with your goals.

Financial Planner - Answered on Sep 20, 2023

Hello Sanjeev, Good afternoon. Request a serious suggestion on my investment planning. Have majority of my savings into FDs due to my earlier conservative approach and even now am having the tax benefit as the FDs are on my wife's name where we do get the tax benefit. Also started significant portion into MFs which is a portfolio by itself of nearly 50 lac INR. My question is, I want to plan for my younger son's future and our retirement which almost have the same time duration of about 12-13 years. How can I go for my investment if am looking for around 5-7 crore of corpus by then ? What options could you provide me assuming I do have good risk apettite now as I have seen a good 5 year cycle in the MFs now. I want you suggest 2 options, 1 - With a fresh investment now and the products which I should go around and 2 - If you advise to use the fixed deposits also to contribute to the wealth creation ( I have a total of around 60-70 lac as FDs). So please suggest a good portfolio with the above 2 scenarios.
Ans: Based on your query, we understand that you are looking for investment options to plan for your younger son’s future (Education and Marriage) and your retirement life. You have mentioned that both goals have a similar time duration of about 12-13 years. You also mentioned that you have a good risk appetite now and have seen a good 5-year cycle in mutual funds (MFs).

To achieve a corpus of around Rs 5Cr by then, we have evaluated both the options:-

Option 1: Fresh Investment: This is the most recommended option from our end as considering your investment horizon and knowledge, we suggest you to rebalance your current fixed income oriented investments to equity orient funds with 20-25% allocation towards mid and small caps.
Benefits on shifting:
• Lower tax liability on returns generated.
• Tax deferment and compounding (higher returns) in long run.

Option 2: Continuing with Fixed Deposits (FDs) (Not suggested by us)
As you know, FDs are very safe asset class and yielding higher returns due to current interest rate scenario. Although, we all know sooner and later rates will came down to support the economy so does the FD rates.
Also, FDs as investment are not considered good for horizon of more than 5 years because:
a) Yearly taxation reduce the compounding and returns.
b) Equity generally outperform in terms of returns over the same horizon.

Final Recommendation:
We suggest you to shift 30-40 Lakhs from FDs and reinvest the same in a well-diversified portfolio of Equity and hybrid funds. Also, considering your goal of reaching a corpus of 5cr with current mutual fund investments it will require whopping returns of 20%+ on annual basis for a period of 12-13 years which is not very likely to achieve.

As a summary, allocate a total of Rs 80-90 Lakhs towards diversified equity-oriented funds and keep invested Rs 20-30 Lakhs in FDs in your wife’s name for taxation benefit.

I am 55, want to retire. Have total corpus of 7 cr in stocks and MF equity. No life insurance, or ppf, nps, FD etc. Have adequate health insurance.Monthly expense is 1.5 lakhs. Want to leave good corpus in legacy for my son. Please suggest.
Ans: It's admirable that you've accumulated a substantial corpus for your retirement and have a clear goal of leaving a legacy for your son. As a Certified Financial Planner, I'm here to provide guidance on how to make the most of your retirement corpus while ensuring a comfortable lifestyle and leaving behind a meaningful inheritance.

Assess Your Financial Goals:

Before making any decisions, it's crucial to identify your financial goals and priorities. Retirement planning involves striking a balance between maintaining your desired lifestyle and preserving wealth for future generations.

Retirement Income Planning:

With a monthly expense of 1.5 lakhs and a corpus of 7 crores, you'll need to carefully plan your retirement income strategy. Consider creating a systematic withdrawal plan (SWP) from your investment portfolio to ensure a steady stream of income to cover your expenses.

Legacy Planning:

To leave a substantial legacy for your son, it's essential to preserve and grow your wealth over time. Invest a portion of your corpus in growth-oriented assets such as equity mutual funds to generate long-term returns that outpace inflation and build a sizable inheritance.

Diversification and Risk Management:

Diversifying your investment portfolio across different asset classes and sectors can help manage risk and enhance returns. While equities offer the potential for higher growth, consider allocating a portion of your portfolio to fixed-income instruments for stability and income generation.

Estate Planning:

Ensure that you have a comprehensive estate plan in place to distribute your assets efficiently and minimize taxes. Consider creating a will and establishing trusts to protect your wealth and ensure a smooth transfer to your son in the future.

Consult with a Certified Financial Planner:

As a Certified Financial Planner, I strongly recommend consulting with a professional to develop a customized retirement and legacy plan tailored to your specific needs and goals. A CFP can provide personalized advice, address any concerns or questions you may have, and help you navigate complex financial decisions with confidence.

Stay Informed and Engaged:

Stay actively involved in managing your finances and regularly review your investment portfolio to ensure it remains aligned with your goals and risk tolerance. Keep abreast of market trends and economic developments that may impact your investments and adjust your strategy accordingly.

Final Thoughts:

Retirement planning is a journey that requires careful consideration, disciplined saving, and prudent investing. By taking a holistic approach to managing your wealth and seeking professional guidance when needed, you can retire comfortably and leave a meaningful legacy for your son. Remember, it's never too late to start planning for the future, and I'm here to support you every step of the way.