Samkit

Samkit Maniar  |125 Answers  |Ask -

Tax Expert - Answered on Jun 21, 2024

CA Samkit Maniar has eight years of experience in income tax, mergers and acquisitions and estate planning.
Sayed Question by Sayed on Jun 21, 2024Hindi

If i sell my plot and use this money from plot selling to construct house at other site , is that amount taxable ? Is there time limit for construction of house once plot is sold ?

Ans: Selling a plot to buy / constructing a residential house is exempt to the extent of INR 10crs.

Tejas

Tejas Chokshi  |126 Answers  |Ask -

Tax Expert - Answered on May 19, 2023

I sold the house and got a profit. Now I want to invest this Long Term Capital Gain to purchase Plot. Is it possible to purchase the plot ?
Ans: In India, you can utilize the long-term capital gains from the sale of a house to purchase a plot of land and potentially avail certain tax benefits. The provisions related to the reinvestment of long-term capital gains are covered under Section 54F and Section 54EC of the Income Tax Act, 1961. Here's an overview of these provisions:

Section 54F - Exemption on Investment in Residential Property: Under this section, if you have sold a residential property (other than an inherited property) and have made a long-term capital gain, you can claim an exemption from capital gains tax by investing the proceeds in a new residential property. However, there are specific conditions that need to be met:

a. Investment in Residential Property: The entire amount of the long-term capital gains must be invested in purchasing a new residential property within one year before or two years after the date of sale of the original property. Alternatively, you can construct a residential property within three years from the sale of the original property.

b. Ownership and Lock-in Period: The newly purchased or constructed residential property should be held for a minimum of three years. If you sell or transfer the new property within this lock-in period, the capital gains exemption claimed under Section 54F will be revoked.

c. Restrictions on Multiple Properties: It is important to note that if you own more than one residential property, except for the new property being purchased or constructed, you will not be eligible to claim the exemption under Section 54F.

Section 54EC - Investment in Specified Bonds: Under this section, if you have made long-term capital gains from the sale of any asset, including a house, you can claim an exemption by investing the capital gains amount in specified bonds issued by the National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) or the Rural Electrification Corporation (REC). Here are some key points:

a. Investment in Bonds: The entire long-term capital gains amount must be invested in these specified bonds within six months from the date of sale of the original asset.

b. Lock-in Period: The specified bonds have a lock-in period of five years. You cannot transfer or sell the bonds before the completion of this period.

c. Limit on Investment: There is a maximum limit of Rs. 50 lakh for investment under Section 54EC in a financial year. If the capital gains amount exceeds this limit, you can only claim an exemption up to Rs. 50 lakh.

Tejas

Tejas Chokshi  |126 Answers  |Ask -

Tax Expert - Answered on May 29, 2023

I have bought a plot for Rs.3 Lakhs in the year, 2006 and constructed a house by taking a bank loan of Rs.10 lakhs in the year, 2007. Now, I have sold this house for Rs.80 lakhs in the year, 2023. What are the capital gains tax I should be paying on this? The buyer has paid Rs.75 K towards TDS on this deal and duducted the same from the sale proceeds due to me. Can I claim this TDS from the IT department? Please clarify.
Ans: To calculate the capital gains tax on the sale of your house, we need to consider the acquisition cost, the cost of improvement, and the sale proceeds. Let's break down the calculations:

Acquisition Cost:
The acquisition cost is the amount you paid for the plot in 2006, which is Rs. 3 lakhs.

Cost of Improvement:
The cost of improvement includes the expenses incurred for constructing the house. In this case, it is the bank loan you took of Rs. 10 lakhs in 2007.

Indexed Cost of Acquisition and Improvement:
To adjust the acquisition cost and cost of improvement for inflation, we need to calculate the indexed cost. The indexed cost is calculated using the Cost Inflation Index (CII) provided by the Income Tax Department. The CII for the relevant years can be found on the Income Tax Department's website.

Let's assume the CII for the year 2006-2007 was 122, and for the year 2007-2023 (the year of sale), it was 317.

Indexed Cost of Acquisition = Acquisition Cost × (CII for the year of sale/CII for the year of acquisition)
Indexed Cost of Acquisition = Rs. 3 lakhs × (317/122) = Rs. 7,79,508=19

Indexed Cost of Improvement = Cost of Improvement × (CII for the year of sale/CII for the year of improvement)
Indexed Cost of Improvement = Rs. 10 lakhs × (317/122) = Rs. 25,98,360=65

Capital Gain:
To calculate the capital gain, deduct the indexed cost of acquisition and the indexed cost of improvement from the sale proceeds.
Capital Gain = Sale Proceeds - (Indexed Cost of Acquisition + Indexed Cost of Improvement)
Capital Gain = Rs. 80 lakhs - (Rs. 7,79,508=19+ Rs. 25,98,360=65)
Capital Gain = Rs. 46,22,131=16

Capital Gains Tax:
The capital gains tax depends on whether the property is held for the long term or the short term. In this case, since you held the property for more than 24 months, it qualifies as a long-term capital asset.
For long-term capital gains, you have the option to pay tax at a rate of 20% with indexation benefits or 10% without indexation benefits, whichever is lower. Indexation benefits adjust the acquisition and improvement costs for inflation.

Assuming you choose the 20% tax rate with indexation benefits, the capital gains tax would be:

Capital Gains Tax = Capital Gain × 20%
Capital Gains Tax = Rs. 46,22,131=16 × 20%
Capital Gains Tax = Rs. 9,24,426=23

Regarding the TDS (Tax Deducted at Source) of Rs. 75,000 paid by the buyer, you can claim credit for this amount while filing your income tax return. The TDS can be set off against your tax liability or claimed as a refund if it exceeds your tax liability. Make sure to provide the necessary details and documentation when filing your tax return to claim the TDS amount.

I am a salaried person My take home earning is 39.5K I have two daughter out of which elder one has completed teenage and second is teenager now. I am living on rent Please Suggest Some SIP funds name along with amount suggestion so that I can make my own home in next 10 years along with family liabilities. MY savings would be about 10 L - 11 L within six months.
Ans: You earn Rs. 39,500 per month. You have two daughters, one in her teens and the other has completed her teenage years. You live on rent and aim to buy a home in the next 10 years. Your savings will be about Rs. 10-11 lakhs within six months.

Monthly SIP Allocation
Given your goal of buying a home in 10 years, consider the following SIP allocations:

Large-Cap Funds: Allocate Rs. 5,000 monthly. These funds provide stability and steady returns.

Multi-Cap Funds: Allocate Rs. 5,000 monthly. These funds balance investments across different market capitalizations.

Hybrid Funds: Allocate Rs. 5,000 monthly. These funds mix equity and debt, balancing risk and return.

Mid-Cap Funds: Allocate Rs. 2,000 monthly. These funds offer higher growth potential with moderate risk.

Small-Cap Funds: Allocate Rs. 2,000 monthly. These funds can yield high returns but are riskier.

Lump Sum Investment
When your savings reach Rs. 10-11 lakhs, invest a portion in mutual funds and keep some as an emergency fund.

Emergency Fund: Keep Rs. 2-3 lakhs in a high-interest savings account or liquid fund.

Equity Mutual Funds: Invest Rs. 5 lakhs in a combination of large-cap, multi-cap, and mid-cap funds.

Debt Funds: Invest Rs. 2-3 lakhs in short-term debt funds for stability and moderate returns.

Diversification and Risk Management
Diversify Investments: Ensure your investments are spread across different asset classes to reduce risk.

Regular Monitoring: Review your investments periodically to ensure they are aligned with your goals.

Professional Advice
Consider consulting a Certified Financial Planner. They can help tailor a plan to your specific needs and risk tolerance.

Start monthly SIPs in a diversified portfolio.

Allocate lump sum savings wisely.

Diversify investments to manage risk.

Regularly monitor your investments.

I am 41 single female ,no kids, no dependents with no ancestral/ property for self. Just started MF 13k a month (in axis small cap 5k, axis flexi cap 5k & axis bluchip 3k) , PPF has 5L , NPS(T1) has 3L balance.PPF 8.5k a month & 6K in NPS are monthly investments apart from SIP. I m living on rent 21k a month . no EPF balance . Monthly fixed expenses are 70k , car loan & card emi 40k .I make about 1.4L a month. Have health insurance for 1cr . How much more should I invest on monthly basis to have a good retirement? Also the dilema of buying a house flat is always, as there are no dependents/ don't see any in future..no marriage plans in future too. So is it okay to stay on rent ? I have no other savings from the one mentioned above. I have utilised 80 C & 80 D investments completely car insurance & health insurance is about 60k a year
Ans: Current Financial Position

You have a well-structured investment plan with mutual funds, PPF, and NPS. Your monthly investments are focused on SIPs and contributions to PPF and NPS.

Investment Goals

Retirement Planning: Building a comfortable retirement corpus.

Debt Management: Paying off your car loan and credit card EMIs.

Housing Decision: Deciding between renting and buying a house.

Assessment of Current Investments

Mutual Funds (Rs 13,000 per month): You are investing in small cap, flexi cap, and bluechip funds. This provides a mix of high growth potential and stability.

PPF (Rs 5 lakhs): Offers safety and tax benefits. Your monthly contribution is Rs 8,500, which is good for long-term growth.

NPS (Rs 3 lakhs): Provides an additional retirement corpus with tax benefits. Your monthly contribution is Rs 6,000.

Recommendations

1. Increase Monthly Investments

To achieve a good retirement corpus, increase your monthly investments. Aim to save and invest at least 30% of your income. This means increasing your monthly investments to around Rs 42,000.

2. Focus on Debt Management

Prioritize paying off your car loan and credit card EMIs. This will free up funds for additional investments and reduce financial stress.

3. Housing Decision

Renting is a viable option if you do not have dependents and no plans to marry. It provides flexibility and avoids the long-term commitment of a home loan. Investing the funds instead of buying a house can potentially yield better returns.

4. Diversify Your Portfolio

While your mutual funds are well-chosen, consider adding a few more diversified funds to spread risk. Avoid direct funds; instead, invest through a Certified Financial Planner for better management and advice.

5. Maximize Tax Benefits

You are utilizing Section 80C and 80D benefits. Continue to do so and explore other tax-saving investments that align with your goals.

Your financial planning is on the right track. Focus on increasing investments and paying off debt. Renting is a practical choice given your circumstances. A diversified and well-managed investment portfolio will ensure a comfortable retirement.

Hello, I am 39 and I earn 1.5 lacs per month after Tax and Mandatory PF deduction. I have a total Loan EMI of around ?60,000 which will continue for the next 9 yrs. I have 38 lacs in provident Fund, 5 lacs in PPF, 5 lacs in Bank FD and 15 lacs in Equity MF(?40000/- SIP in 5 Different High Risk Portfolio). I am planning to retire at 50. Kindly guide me how to reach ?3 Crore Corpus Savings/Investment in the quickest possible way.?
Ans: Current Financial Overview
You earn Rs. 1.5 lakhs per month. You have a loan EMI of Rs. 60,000 for the next nine years. Your savings include Rs. 38 lakhs in provident fund, Rs. 5 lakhs in PPF, Rs. 5 lakhs in FD, and Rs. 15 lakhs in equity mutual funds. You invest Rs. 40,000 monthly in high-risk SIPs.

Goal Assessment
You aim to retire at 50 with a Rs. 3 crore corpus. Let's strategize to achieve this goal.

Increase SIP Contributions
To reach your goal, consider increasing your SIP contributions. Allocate more funds to a mix of mutual funds with varying risk profiles.

Large-Cap Funds: For stability and steady growth.

Multi-Cap Funds: For balanced exposure across market capitalizations.

Hybrid Funds: For a mix of equity and debt, balancing risk and return.

Increase your SIP contribution as your income grows or expenses reduce.

Optimize Current Investments
Provident Fund
Your provident fund is a strong base. Continue contributing to it for tax benefits and steady returns.

PPF and FD
PPF and FD offer safety but lower returns. Consider moving some FD funds to equity mutual funds for higher growth.

Loan Repayment
Prioritize repaying high-interest loans first. Consider refinancing to reduce interest rates. This will free up more funds for investment.

Diversification and Risk Management
Avoid Overconcentration
Ensure your investments are diversified. Avoid overconcentration in high-risk funds. Balance your portfolio with low and medium-risk investments.

Professional Advice

Increase SIP contributions in a diversified portfolio.

Balance high-risk funds with stable investments.

Optimize existing investments for better returns.

Focus on debt repayment to free up funds.

Consider professional financial advice for a tailored plan.

Hi I need advice from you. After 18.5 years of experience corporate sector, I lost my job recently. I am now in a confusion state that, should I again try for job ? or do business/ small job ? Currently my MF portfolio is 1 Cr ( Quant small 70 lakhs , HDFc mid cap 20 lakhs , Nippon small cap 8 lakhs, Canara roboco ELSS 2 lakhs) , having 10% profit as on date Also , I am planning to sell a land which is not growing as expected ( Approx 20 lakhs ) I have 2 houses , would like to sell one , ( Approx 50 lakhs ) Planning to Move all these funds into mutual funds With approx 1.7 cr, can I retire?
Ans: Assessing Your Current Financial Situation
You have significant investments and assets. Your mutual fund portfolio is Rs. 1 crore with a 10% profit. You plan to sell land for Rs. 20 lakhs and a house for Rs. 50 lakhs, totaling an additional Rs. 70 lakhs. This would bring your total available funds to Rs. 1.7 crore.

Considering Retirement Feasibility
Living Expenses
To assess if you can retire, estimate your monthly living expenses. Include housing, food, healthcare, insurance, and leisure. For a comfortable retirement, consider inflation and increasing medical costs.

Withdrawal Rate
A safe withdrawal rate is around 4% per year. With Rs. 1.7 crore, you could withdraw Rs. 6.8 lakhs annually, or around Rs. 56,000 monthly. Ensure this aligns with your expected expenses.

Reinvestment Strategy
Diversified Mutual Funds
Consider reallocating your investments for diversification and risk management. Your current portfolio is heavily skewed towards small and mid-cap funds.

Large-Cap Funds: Include these for stability and steady returns.

Multi-Cap Funds: Offer exposure across market capitalizations, balancing risk and reward.

Hybrid Funds: Invest in both equity and debt for balanced growth and stability.

Consider an SWP for regular income. This will provide a steady cash flow while keeping your principal invested.

Alternative Options
Starting a Business
Starting a business can be rewarding but involves risks. Consider your interests, market demand, and initial investment. A small job could also provide income and maintain financial stability.

Seeking Employment
Returning to a corporate job can provide stability and benefits. It can also help you grow your retirement corpus further before fully retiring.

Evaluate your monthly expenses and future financial needs. Reallocate your portfolio for diversification. Consider an SWP for steady income. Explore small jobs or business opportunities, but weigh the risks. Returning to a corporate job can offer stability and growth.