Financial Planner - Answered on Sep 20, 2023

Colonel Sanjeev Govila (retd) is the founder of Hum Fauji Initiatives, a financial planning company dedicated to the armed forces personnel and their families.
Subhash Question by Subhash on Aug 29, 2023Hindi

Hello Sanjeev, Good afternoon. Request a serious suggestion on my investment planning. Have majority of my savings into FDs due to my earlier conservative approach and even now am having the tax benefit as the FDs are on my wife's name where we do get the tax benefit. Also started significant portion into MFs which is a portfolio by itself of nearly 50 lac INR. My question is, I want to plan for my younger son's future and our retirement which almost have the same time duration of about 12-13 years. How can I go for my investment if am looking for around 5-7 crore of corpus by then ? What options could you provide me assuming I do have good risk apettite now as I have seen a good 5 year cycle in the MFs now. I want you suggest 2 options, 1 - With a fresh investment now and the products which I should go around and 2 - If you advise to use the fixed deposits also to contribute to the wealth creation ( I have a total of around 60-70 lac as FDs). So please suggest a good portfolio with the above 2 scenarios.

Ans: Based on your query, we understand that you are looking for investment options to plan for your younger son’s future (Education and Marriage) and your retirement life. You have mentioned that both goals have a similar time duration of about 12-13 years. You also mentioned that you have a good risk appetite now and have seen a good 5-year cycle in mutual funds (MFs).

To achieve a corpus of around Rs 5Cr by then, we have evaluated both the options:-

Option 1: Fresh Investment: This is the most recommended option from our end as considering your investment horizon and knowledge, we suggest you to rebalance your current fixed income oriented investments to equity orient funds with 20-25% allocation towards mid and small caps.
Benefits on shifting:
• Lower tax liability on returns generated.
• Tax deferment and compounding (higher returns) in long run.

Option 2: Continuing with Fixed Deposits (FDs) (Not suggested by us)
As you know, FDs are very safe asset class and yielding higher returns due to current interest rate scenario. Although, we all know sooner and later rates will came down to support the economy so does the FD rates.
Also, FDs as investment are not considered good for horizon of more than 5 years because:
a) Yearly taxation reduce the compounding and returns.
b) Equity generally outperform in terms of returns over the same horizon.

Final Recommendation:
We suggest you to shift 30-40 Lakhs from FDs and reinvest the same in a well-diversified portfolio of Equity and hybrid funds. Also, considering your goal of reaching a corpus of 5cr with current mutual fund investments it will require whopping returns of 20%+ on annual basis for a period of 12-13 years which is not very likely to achieve.

As a summary, allocate a total of Rs 80-90 Lakhs towards diversified equity-oriented funds and keep invested Rs 20-30 Lakhs in FDs in your wife’s name for taxation benefit.

Hi Mr. Parikh, I am 41 yr male. I have a monthly MF contribution of 14K: 1. Mirae Asset Tax (G)- 2000/m 2. Quant Tax Saver (G)-2000/m 3. Canara Robeco Tax Plan (G)-2000/m 4. Parag Parikh Tax Saver (G)- 2000/m 5. Nippon India Multi Cap (G)- 1000/m 6. PGIM India Mid Cap (G)- 2000/m 7. Quant Flexi Cap (G)- 2000/m 8. Quant BFSI Fund (G)- 1000/m 9. NPS contribution- 50000/yr I have LIC of 6 Lakhs SA, a Term plan of 25 Lakhs & a Health Plan of 25 Lakhs. Sir, I have the future commitments coming: a) Daughter's 12+ Education starting in 2028. b) Daughter's Marriage in 2040. c) Post retirement commitments. (after 2037). Sir, I am Ok with taking risk as my horizon is for long term. Sir, please suggest some more MF as I want to add another 6000/m to make it 20K/m. Please evaluate my current portfolio and suggest names of new MF to invest. Thanks
Ans: Currently, your portfolio is overly diversified in a similar category funds (ELSS), although the funds are well performing and have delivered decent returns till date. The ongoing SIPs in these funds will help you in accomplishing your goals along with tax savings but we recommend you to reduce the funds to two. The other funds in your portfolio are also fundamentally strong and decent performers. Hence, we recommend you to not introduce new funds in your portfolio and allocate the additional SIPs amount in the existing funds.

For your post retirements commitments, NPS is a good investment asset class as it will maintain your cashflows. You also have a decent health insurance for medical uncertainties but I recommend you to increase the term plan to 1 Cr.

Hello Hemant, Greetings. Request a serious suggestion on my investment planning. Have majority of my savings into FDs due to my earlier conservative approach and even now am having the tax benefit as the FDs are on my wife's name where we do get the tax benefit. Also started significant portion into MFs which is a portfolio by itself of nearly 50 lac INR. My question is, I want to plan for my younger son's future and our retirement which almost have the same time duration of about 12-13 years. How can I go for my investment if am looking for around 5-7 crore of corpus by then ? What options could you provide me assuming I do have good risk apettite now as I have seen a good 5 year cycle in the MFs now. I want you suggest 2 options, 1 - With a fresh investment now and the products which I should go around and 2 - If you advise to use the fixed deposits also to contribute to the wealth creation ( I have a total of around 60-70 lac as FDs). So please suggest a good portfolio with the above 2 scenarios.
Ans: Given your risk appetite and investment horizon of 12-13 years, here are two investment strategies to achieve a corpus of 5-7 crore:

Option 1: Fresh Investment

Equity Mutual Funds: Allocate 60% of the portfolio (30 lac) to diversified equity mutual funds with a proven track record.
Direct Equity: Invest 20% (10 lac) directly in blue-chip stocks or through a well-researched stock portfolio.
Debt Mutual Funds: Allocate 10% (5 lac) to debt funds for stability and to balance the portfolio.
Gold or Gold ETFs: Allocate 10% (5 lac) to gold as a hedge against market volatility and inflation.
Option 2: Utilizing FDs

Equity Mutual Funds: Transfer 50% of the FDs (30-35 lac) into diversified equity mutual funds.
Debt Mutual Funds: Transfer 30% (20-25 lac) to debt funds for stability.
Direct Equity: Invest 10% (5-7 lac) directly in blue-chip stocks or a stock portfolio.
Gold or Gold ETFs: Allocate 10% (5-7 lac) to gold.
Regularly review and rebalance the portfolio to maintain the desired asset allocation. Consider SIPs for equity investments to take advantage of rupee-cost averaging. Consult with a Certified Financial Planner to tailor the investment strategy to your specific needs and objectives.

Kirtan

Kirtan A Shah  |77 Answers  |Ask -

MF Expert, Financial Planner - Answered on Aug 30, 2023

Hi I am a 35-year-old woman and my husband is 45. we are made for each other couple. we love each other and we do not have any compatibility issues except in romance. he is not very romantic and even throughout my younger years I was also not very romantic and immersed myself in studies and career. He is not very active in sex also. A few years back I told him that I wanted to be romantic after marriage and now we are not, so I missed my college and early office days when I was in my prime and could have been romantically involved with guys. Since I look very young even at 35, he suggested that I still can move around with guys and get romantic and I need not miss anything even now. though initially declining the offer, I moved a little freely toward men, mostly colleagues, and a few social club members. I encouraged late-night messages, coffee meets, movies, etc. I update my husband on every single event that happens. ex, if I went to a movie with a colleague, I will message my hubby " We kissed", if that happened. he encourages me so much and is happy with whatever is happening, cutting a long story short. though I didn't think it would go so far, I am now romantically very active. soft romance-like messages I do with many. Dating I don't say no to my known circle like colleagues, ex-colleagues, college mates, etc and almost 2-3 times a week I end up dating someone in a coffee shop, pub, or a long drive. A few times I initiate a date too. and I must confess that I have regular intimacy with four young men, all from the same office where I work. I have never hidden anything from my hubby and give a complete account every day. I offered to stop everything any moment he said. but he told me till age is there enjoy life!. I am emotionally connected to my husband only and I do all my responsibilities as a woman. Our relationship has grown manifold. My only question is, am I exploiting my husband's innocence or does he have a cuckold fantasy? If I continue the way I continue with no harm to anyone, can I keep doing it ( I love to). or I should stop at once?

After reading your question I understood that your partner and you have, what we call, an open relationship. As long as both partners are okay with the dynamics of it, and no one is emotionally hurt, or resisting, it should be okay. It isn't exploitation if your husband himself encourages you. You are both consenting adults and not harming each other or anyone else. As for your question, if he has a cuckold fantasy, that is something you should discuss with your husband. An open discussion is better than speculation. Also, at any time if you suspect that your husband is growing concerned about the nature of your relationship, ask him directly. It can help avoid misunderstandings.

Hello sir mai 28 year ki hoo mai abhi llb kar rahi hoo mai last 7 year se relationship mai hoo vo mujse 25 year bade hai saruaat 1 to 2 year inhone muje bhot priorities di ab hum 3 to 4 month mai kabhi milte hai hum dono alag alag city mai hai unki bhot badi family hai or finincially bhi problem chal rahi hai last 3 yaer se vo.muje priority nai de rahe hum.roj bat karte hai vo mera khyal bhi rakhte hai lekin muje unse ab dur nai hona mene sadi na karne ka decisions Liya hai lekin kitni bar bhot akela feel karti hoo vo muje itna time nai dete phele jaisa nai hai aisa lagta hai.fir vo ku6 help kar de ya pyar se bat bhi kar le.to.lagta hai sab theek hai mai.bhot confused hoo mai.kya karu muje kya karna chahiye ..

Dating someone older than you is not the problem, but the fact that you are making major life decisions based on what he wants and doesn't want is concerning. I am guessing that you decided to not get married because he doesn't want it either. Is that fair to you? You yourself mentioned that you often feel lonely. Don't you think you deserve better? Don't you deserve someone who would love you and would like to spend the rest of their life with you? Please reconsider this relationship. Speak to your partner and ask him what his plans are for the future. Does he want to settle down with you? How will you two continue this relationship in the future? There are many important questions that need answering. Sort them out and you will have the solution to your dilemma.