Harsh

Harsh Bharwani  |56 Answers  |Ask -

Entrepreneurship Expert - Answered on Jul 04, 2023

Harsh Bharwani is a fourth generation entrepreneur.
As CEO and managing director, he leads the international business and employability initiatives at the computer networking institute, Jetking Infotrain Limited.
After graduating from Delhi University, Bharwani joined the family business in 2010 and set up operations in the US and Vietnam.

Dear sir i am 51 yr old ,i had a very tough life,i was bright and honest student..i got adhoc lecturer ship which i have to left as it was adhoc only i like my profession but i had to left ..than i join with help of my friend sales which i don't like but to earn i did and rose to higher management level...my married elder brother was having depression,i left the parental home to help him ,my parents were both retired govt employees getting good pension...i struggled to make both ends meet..later on my parents get medical trouble still my wife took care of them at my house.. I left the job in 2010 me and my friends who bring me job started the business but he ditched me the first day on business i take courage and continued the business... Meanwhile my parents refused yo help....after 3 yr of my business my parents come to help them as my mother has to do 3 month complete bed rest ,me and my wife helped them after that they come for 2 -3 months in a year for 5 years but after that my mother starts querlling with my wife ,i stoped their coming but told i will help them they need..i helped them during covid ,and other medical problems ,in 2021 my father passed away in i met an car accident my mother refused to give registery of copy in cour yo get bail..i stopped my all relation on this ...my daughter went to canada in sep 2021..i took 7 lacs loan and rest i paid from my savings ..this month her course was supposed to finish but what i realize that she failed in 13 exams..she told me first time than i told her to not worry i concentrate for future one but she lied and failed in other one also what she disclosed now,i have to pay further 10 lacs..my business is alo down and my son is not selected my medical field business,i have to collect aprx 40 lacs from market ,i tried hard for tie up overtake or job at this age but kot getting...it is become hard to run business with no family member in same business in future and tonpay to daughter ..i am gojng to shut it down in next month and do something else...with low cost business as i have to pay monthly salaries and rent of aprox 2.5 lac...i am in big trouble...No one to help me out..i never tried my 0mother brother sister whom i helped in their every cause...i knew they will not help as they not helped me in all my troubles...

Ans: I'm really sorry to hear about the difficult circumstances you've faced in your life. It sounds like you've gone through a lot of challenges and have been dealing with various setbacks. It's understandable that you may feel overwhelmed and frustrated at this point.
In times of hardship, it's important to remember that there is always hope and the possibility of finding solutions. Here are a few suggestions to consider:

1. Seek Professional Help: Given the complexity of your situation and the emotional toll it has taken on you, it may be beneficial to seek professional support. Consider reaching out to a counselor, therapist, or support group to help you navigate through your challenges and emotions. They can provide guidance and assist you in developing coping strategies.
2. Financial Assistance: If you're struggling with loans and financial obligations, it might be worth exploring options for financial assistance. Consult with a financial advisor or research available schemes, grants, or loans that could potentially help you manage your debts and ease the financial burden.
3. Career Transition: As you mentioned, shutting down your current business and exploring other low-cost business options might be a viable solution. Assess your skills, interests, and market demand to identify alternative business opportunities that align with your capabilities and resources. Consider seeking advice from business mentors or professionals in your desired industry to help you make informed decisions.
4. Network and Support: While it may feel like you're alone, reach out to your social network for support. Friends, acquaintances, or industry professionals might have insights, connections, or opportunities that could be beneficial. Building a support system can provide emotional support and potentially open doors for new opportunities.
5. Prioritize Self-Care: In challenging times, taking care of yourself is crucial. Make sure to prioritize self-care activities such as exercise, relaxation, hobbies, and spending time with loved ones. Maintaining your physical and mental well-being will help you navigate through difficulties with a clearer mindset.
6. Maintain Resilience: Remember that setbacks are a part of life, and resilience is key. While it may feel overwhelming now, focus on developing a positive mindset and persevering through challenges. Draw on your past experiences of overcoming adversity to fuel your resilience and determination.

Finally, know that it's never too late to make a fresh start or seek new opportunities. It may take time, effort, and a shift in mindset, but with perseverance and resilience, you can work towards a better future. Reach out for help, explore available resources, and stay determined. Wishing you strength and the best of luck as you navigate through this difficult period.

I am 42 years old, working in a PSU bank for 11 years. I have my Mother at home who is 73 years and retired state govt. Officer. My Father passed away in 2013 just after I joined my job. He was a state govt. Officer. I am married and have one son 8.5 years old studying in class 4. My wife is working in state govt. She often leaves my home with our son and goes to her father's place which is just near to my house because of minor issues like any hot talk with me. She has no problem with my Mother. We had a love marriage and we dated for 13 years and in 2015 got married. I am a family bound guy but when wife leaves me, I and mostly my Mother falls into trouble due to all household works are to be done by her as I have minimum time in the morning to help her. Our maid left one months back. I am searching one but not getting. Last year I and my wife stayed apart for 9 months in total, not at a time but in two parts. I sent her lawyers letter 3 months back after she left me in January this year. She came back 2 months back and left again after one month. I really miss my son and wife when they are not with me. My Mother also miss her grandson and becomes hopeless. I can't find any solution to this. Please suggest what will I do. I have lots of pressure at workplace and not satisfied with my job too as bank has lots of problems these days. I think of leaving job to support my Mother. I will leave job surely if something odd happens to my Mother. My Father took 3 words from me before death to Look after Mother, to look after house and to look after the house belongings. Already I am unable to keep all 3 words properly. I feel guilty of myself. Please guide me about my career and family life.
Ans: Dear DP
Navigating your current situation requires a strategic approach that balances your professional and personal responsibilities. Communication is key. Have an open and calm conversation with your wife to understand her perspective and express your concerns without assigning blame. Counseling can be beneficial here, offering a neutral space to discuss underlying issues and improve your relationship dynamics.

Supporting your mother is equally important. While searching for a permanent solution for household help, consider temporary alternatives such as part-time assistance or community support services. Engage your mother in local senior activities to provide her with social interaction and support.

Addressing your job dissatisfaction is also crucial. Explore other roles within your bank or in other PSUs that match your skills but offer a less stressful environment. Professional development can open new career opportunities. Taking regular breaks, practicing mindfulness, and ensuring a work-life balance can help manage your stress levels.

By focusing on these areas—open communication with your wife, practical support for your mother, and exploring less stressful job options—you can work towards a more stable and fulfilling family and professional life.

Hello Sir. I am 42 years old.my monthly earning rs.95000.I am investing 40,000 per month from July,24 in mutual funds and 5L in lumsump MF in ICICI prudential energy opportunities fund.rs.24000 in RD in bank.Currently corpus is 25L in ppf, 25L in PF,20L in FD ,45L in LIc.i have one son age 8 yrs.i have own car, bike. I have parental house.If I have to retire at the age of 60 and require monthly 5 lakhs, is it possible, and if yes, what should be my strategy?
Ans: Current Financial Situation
You have a stable monthly income of Rs. 95,000.

You invest Rs. 40,000 per month in mutual funds since July 2024.

You have invested Rs. 5 lakhs in a lump sum mutual fund.

You save Rs. 24,000 monthly in a recurring deposit.

Your corpus includes:

Rs. 25 lakhs in PPF
Rs. 25 lakhs in PF
Rs. 20 lakhs in FD
Rs. 45 lakhs in LIC
You have an 8-year-old son.

You own a car, a bike, and have a parental house.

Goal: Retirement at 60
You wish to retire at 60 and need Rs. 5 lakhs monthly post-retirement.

Analysis of Current Investments
Your current investments are diversified:

Mutual funds for growth
PPF and PF for safety
FD for liquidity
LIC for insurance and savings
This is a balanced approach. However, to meet your goal, adjustments are needed.

Continue with mutual funds for growth. They provide higher returns over time. Consider diversifying into large-cap, mid-cap, and balanced funds. This reduces risk and ensures steady growth.

Recurring Deposit
Recurring deposits offer fixed returns. However, they are less effective for long-term growth. You might consider redirecting some RD funds into equity mutual funds. This can potentially provide better returns.

PPF and PF
These are excellent for long-term safety. They provide tax benefits and guaranteed returns. Continue these for stability and safety in your portfolio.

Fixed Deposits
FDs provide liquidity but offer lower returns. Consider reallocating some funds into more growth-oriented investments. This can help in building a larger retirement corpus.

LIC Policies
LIC policies often offer lower returns compared to mutual funds. Consider reviewing your policies. If they are investment-cum-insurance, think about surrendering and investing in mutual funds. Use a term insurance plan for pure risk cover.

Lump Sum Investment
Your lump sum investment in a sector-specific fund is high risk. Consider diversifying into diversified equity funds. This reduces risk and ensures better long-term growth.

Strategy for Achieving Retirement Goal
Increase SIP Contributions
Increase your monthly SIP contributions. Aim for at least 50% of your monthly income. This ensures a larger corpus over time.

Diversify Investments
Diversify across various mutual funds. Include large-cap, mid-cap, and balanced funds. This spreads risk and maximizes returns.

Review your portfolio every six months. Rebalance to maintain the desired asset allocation. This helps in staying aligned with your goals.

Maintain an emergency fund of at least 6 months of expenses. Park this in liquid funds for easy access. This ensures financial stability during emergencies.

Start planning for retirement expenses. Consider inflation and rising costs. Use retirement calculators to estimate the required corpus. Adjust your investments accordingly.

Seek advice from a Certified Financial Planner. They can provide tailored strategies. A CFP ensures your investments are aligned with your retirement goals.

Your current investments are on the right track.

Increase your SIP contributions for better growth.

Diversify your mutual fund investments.

Review and rebalance your portfolio regularly.

Seek professional guidance for a tailored approach.

With disciplined investing, achieving your retirement goal is possible.

I am 47yrs, married and have a kid aged 15yrs, i am having exposure to Mutual fund as below ; Investment value as on date is : Rs.629968.00 Gain/Loss : Rs.222677.00 Total portfolio value : Rs.852645.00 (Breakup given below of the holdings) On going SIP monthly : ICICI Pru Tachnology-G Rs.1000 Parag Parikh Flexi Cap Reg -G Rs.3000 One time Lumpsum Invested : Parag Parikh Flexi Cap Reg -G : 65000 ICICI Pru Bharat 22 FOF -G : 80000 Motilal Oswal Mid Cap Reg -G : 70000 Franklin India Focused Equity -G : 60000 (Matured and still holding) Canara Robeco Small Cap Reg-G : 75000 ICICI Pru Equity FOF-G : 70000 ICICI Pru Technoloigy -G : 65000 (Matured and still holding) ICICI Pru Balanced Advantage -G : 50000 (Matured and still holding) ICICI Pru MediumTerm Bond -G : 35000 (Matured and still holding) As i have don't have any fixed income, could not continue with the major SIP'S, but as an when i get lumpsum i add on to the funds and i am ony carrying on with monthly SIP of Rs.4000 as mentioned above. Can you please advice about my portfolio as to what will be the corpus by 2034 ( after 10yrs from now)
Ans: Assessment of Current Portfolio
Your current mutual fund portfolio is well-diversified. It includes technology, flexi cap, mid cap, small cap, and balanced funds. Here’s a detailed assessment:

Mutual Fund Investments
ICICI Pru Technology Fund: Monthly SIP of Rs. 1000. This fund focuses on the technology sector. It can offer high growth but comes with sector-specific risks.

Parag Parikh Flexi Cap Fund: Monthly SIP of Rs. 3000 and a lump sum of Rs. 65000. This fund is diversified across large, mid, and small caps. It aims to achieve long-term growth.

ICICI Pru Bharat 22 FOF: Lump sum of Rs. 80000. This fund invests in the Bharat 22 Index, focusing on diversified sectors.

Motilal Oswal Mid Cap Fund: Lump sum of Rs. 70000. Mid cap funds can offer high returns but are more volatile than large cap funds.

Franklin India Focused Equity Fund: Lump sum of Rs. 60000. This matured fund is still held, focusing on a limited number of stocks.

Canara Robeco Small Cap Fund: Lump sum of Rs. 75000. Small cap funds have high growth potential but are very volatile.

ICICI Pru Equity FOF: Lump sum of Rs. 70000. This fund invests in other equity funds, offering diversified equity exposure.

ICICI Pru Balanced Advantage Fund: Lump sum of Rs. 50000. This fund balances between equity and debt, offering stability.

ICICI Pru Medium Term Bond Fund: Lump sum of Rs. 35000. This fund focuses on medium-term debt securities, providing steady returns with lower risk.

Portfolio Growth Potential
Current Portfolio Value: Rs. 8,52,645.

Gain/Loss: Rs. 2,22,677.

Strategic Recommendations
Increase Equity Exposure
Focus on Growth: Continue investing in equity mutual funds. They offer high growth potential over the long term.

Balanced Approach: Maintain a balance between large, mid, and small cap funds.

Reduce Sector-Specific Risk
Diversify Further: Avoid concentrating too much in one sector like technology. Spread investments across various sectors.
Regular Investments
SIPs and Lumpsums: Continue SIPs as much as possible. Invest lump sums when you receive them.

Consistency: Consistent investments help in rupee cost averaging and compounding.

Avoid Index Funds
Disadvantages: Index funds follow the market passively. They lack active management and can’t outperform the market.

Active Management Benefits: Actively managed funds have professional managers. They aim for higher returns by adapting to market conditions.

Drawbacks of Direct Funds
No Advisory Support: Direct funds lack guidance from certified planners. Regular funds offer professional advice.

Complex Management: Managing direct investments requires market knowledge. Regular funds managed by CFPs are more suitable.

Financial Goals and Liquidity
Goal Alignment
Long-Term Goals: Align your investments with your long-term goals. Focus on creating a corpus for your child’s education and your retirement.
Maintain Liquidity: Keep an emergency fund for unforeseen expenses. This should cover at least six months of expenses.
Health and Life Insurance
Personal Mediclaim
Buy Health Insurance: Purchase a personal health insurance policy. Ensure it covers critical illnesses and hospitalisation.
Life Insurance
Adequate Coverage: Ensure your term plan coverage is sufficient. This should meet your family’s needs in case of any eventuality.
Your portfolio is well-diversified and shows good growth potential. Focus on equity mutual funds for long-term growth. Avoid index and direct funds. Maintain consistency in SIPs and invest lumpsum amounts when possible. Align investments with long-term goals and ensure adequate insurance coverage.

Hi Experts, I have Rs 1 lac, which I want to put into any mutual fund for my new born kid, so that when he will attain age of 18+ he should have some amount (15-20 lac) which could assist him in higher education. Please suggest me any good lumpsum Mutual fund
Ans: Congratulations on your new baby! Planning for your child’s education is a great step.

Lumpsum Investment Strategy
Investing Rs 1 lakh in a mutual fund now can grow significantly over 18 years.

Choosing the Right Mutual Fund
Consider these types of mutual funds for long-term growth:

Equity Funds: These funds invest in stocks and offer high returns. They are suitable for long-term goals like education.

Hybrid Funds: These funds invest in both stocks and bonds. They balance risk and returns, making them a good option.

Debt Funds: These funds invest in bonds and are safer but with lower returns. They are less suitable for long-term high growth but can be part of a diversified portfolio.

Actively Managed Funds vs. Index Funds
Actively Managed Funds: These funds have a manager who picks stocks to outperform the market. They can offer higher returns.

Index Funds: These funds track a market index. While they have lower fees, they might not perform as well as actively managed funds.

Direct Funds vs. Regular Funds
Direct Funds: These funds are bought directly from the fund house, saving on commission fees. However, they require more effort to manage and choose the right fund.

Regular Funds: These funds are bought through a Mutual Fund Distributor (MFD) with a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) credential. They provide professional guidance and can help you make better choices.

Diversifying your investment reduces risk.

Equity Funds: Allocate a major portion here for higher returns.

Hybrid Funds: Add some portion here for stability.

Risk and Returns
Equity funds are volatile but offer high returns.

Hybrid funds balance risk and returns.

Debt funds offer stability but lower returns.

Time Horizon
18 years is a long period, allowing your investment to grow significantly. Start early and stay invested for the best results.

Regular Monitoring
Review your investment regularly. Adjust based on performance and market conditions.

A Certified Financial Planner can provide personalized advice. They help you choose the right funds and manage your investment effectively.

Investing Rs 1 lakh now can help your child’s future.

Stay Invested: Long-term investment is key.

Diversify: Spread your investment across different types of funds.

Monitor: Regularly check your investment and adjust as needed.

Seek Guidance: A CFP can provide valuable advice and help you make the best decisions.

What is the Fees of a Certified Financial Planner?
Ans: The fees for a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) vary widely.

Fee Structures
CFPs charge in different ways:

Hourly Rate: Rs 2000 to Rs 10,000 per hour.

Flat Fee: Rs 15,000 to Rs 75,000 for a comprehensive plan.

Percentage of Assets: 0.5% to 2% annually.

Retainer Fee: Rs 10,000 to Rs 50,000 per year.

Commission-Based CFPs
In India, many CFPs work on a commission basis.

Product Commissions: They earn from selling financial products like mutual funds and insurance.

No Direct Fees: You don’t pay them directly; they earn from your investments.

Professional Guidance: Choose a professional CFP who works on commission. It can be beneficial as they are motivated to help you grow your investments.

Services Provided
Comprehensive Planning: Includes retirement, tax, and estate planning, costing more.

Specific Advice: Focused on a single issue, typically costing less.

Experience and Reputation
Highly Experienced CFPs: Charge higher fees due to reputation.

Less Experienced CFPs: Charge lower fees to attract clients.

Location
Urban Areas: Higher fees due to living costs.

Smaller Cities/Towns: Lower fees.

Value of Professional Guidance
Personalized Advice: Tailored to help you achieve financial goals.

Long-term Benefits: Leads to better financial decisions.

Fee Structures Vary: Know the different ways CFPs charge.

Consider Services and Experience: Evaluate what you need and the CFP’s experience.

Weigh Costs vs. Benefits: Consider the long-term benefits of professional advice.

Commission-Based CFPs: They can be a good choice, offering motivated, growth-focused guidance.