Home > User

Need Expert Advice?Our Gurus Can Help


Sushil Sukhwani94 Answers  |Ask -

Study Abroad Expert - Answered on Aug 28, 2023

Asked on - Aug 25, 2023

My son is working as research scholar in IIT but wants to pursue research in US what are the options to do that . He wants stipend fore that kindly guide
Ans: Hello Kavita,

To begin with, thank you for contacting us. Through pursuing research in the US, your son can acquire a fantastic chance to broaden his academic horizons, learn about modern research, and work with subject-matter experts. He could think about the following options:

1. Graduate Studies (Ph.D.): Applying for a Ph.D. program at a university seems to be one of the popular methods to pursue research in the US. Through these programs, students can earn stipends and tuition exemptions in exchange for research and teaching assistantships. Your son can submit an application to the graduate programs at his preferred universities.

2. Fellowships and Grants: For foreign students pursuing research in the US, multiple grants and fellowships are offered. Examples include The NSF Graduate Research Fellowship, Fulbright Program, and several university-specific scholarships. Financial assistance viz., stipends and tuition coverage are offered through these programs.

3. Research Assistantships (RA): Research assistant roles are available in several research initiatives, labs, or departments. In this salaried position, your son will carry out particular research projects under a faculty member’s supervision.

4. Teaching Assistantships (TA): Teaching assistantships are similar to research assistantships, here students help the professors teach undergraduate courses while he is still pursuing his own research. This may also include a stipend and at times, tuition coverage.

5. Working in partnership with Professors: Your son might consider working together on research projects, if he has developed relationships with professors in the US. Getting invited for short research trips or even longer research stays could stem as a result.

6. Postdoctoral Jobs: Your son could think about applying for postdoctoral jobs if he finishes his Ph.D. in India and wishes to further his research in the US. These research positions are temporary enabling him to continue his research under the guidance of experienced researchers.

7. Centers and Institutes for Research: Researchers can enrol as visiting scholars or researchers at a number of US research institutes and centers. These jobs could offer stipends and access to cutting-edge facilities.

8. Academic Workshops and Meetings: Your son can engage with possible colleagues and look into research opportunities by attending conferences and seminars in the US that are pertinent to his academic field.

Your son should inquire about labs, universities and programs that match his research interests, get in touch with teachers/advisors he intends working with, submit a compelling Statement of Purpose, study proposal, and recommendation letters, appear for English language competency tests viz., IELTS or TOEFL as required by universities, and look into scholarships, fellowships, and assistantships that offer international students financial aid.

To make sure he finds the perfect match for his research interests and career prospects, your son should plan well in advance, begin early, and conduct extensive research on each possibility.

For more information, you can visit our website.
DISCLAIMER: The content of this post by the expert is the personal view of the rediffGURU. Investment in securities market are subject to market risks. Read all the related document carefully before investing. The securities quoted are for illustration only and are not recommendatory. Users are advised to pursue the information provided by the rediffGURU only as a source of information and as a point of reference and to rely on their own judgement when making a decision. RediffGURUS is an intermediary as per India's Information Technology Act.


You haven't logged in yet. To ask a question, Please Log in below

A verification OTP will be sent to this
Mobile Number / Email

Enter OTP
A 6 digit code has been sent to

Resend OTP in120seconds

Dear User, You have not registered yet. Please register by filling the fields below to get expert answers from our Gurus
Sign up

By signing up, you agree to our
Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy

Already have an account?

Enter OTP
A 6 digit code has been sent to Mobile

Resend OTP in120seconds