I have done msc mathematics and doing preparation for csir net and PhD. But now I am confused between data science and research. How to clear my mind. I am not able to decide as both are the new for me. What to opt please guide me
Ans: Hello Pri,
Your interests, abilities, and professional objectives will influence which field you choose—research or data science. When selecting your choice, keep the following things in mind:
1. Interests: Think about your interests and passions. Do you have a strong preference for academic research and the advancement of knowledge in a particular sector, or are you more interested in utilising data and technology to solve problems in the real world? Making data-driven decisions for businesses or organisations often entails working with data to gain insights, create models, and do so. On the contrary, research entails carrying out extensive investigations, experimentation, and analyses to produce new knowledge and add to the body of knowledge already existent in a given sector.
2. Abilities: Analyse your talents and abilities. Data science often calls for programming, statistical analysis, machine learning, data visualisation, and subject-matter expertise. Skills in experimental design, data gathering, data analysis, and academic writing may be needed for research. Think about the skill set that you presently have or would like to acquire.
3. Future Employment Prospects: Consider your long-term career objectives. Data science provides several opportunities in industries viz. finance, healthcare, marketing, e-commerce, and technology, with prospective roles including data scientist, machine learning engineer, data engineer, or business analyst. Research can lead to professions as a professor, researcher, or subject matter expert.
4. Workplace Environment: Think about the office setting that suits your preferences.
5. Individual Drive: Examine your innate motivation. This will assist you in making decisions that are consistent with your values and goals.
Finally, the choice between data science and research is determined by your personal preferences, strengths, and professional objectives. Carefully assess your interests, talents, long-term goals, preferred work environment, and personal drive and make an informed choice that fits your professional path. To get further information and advice, speak with experts or mentors in the domains of research and data science.
For more information, you can visit our website.