Ravi Mittal is an expert on dating and relationships.

I am in love with my boyfriend since 18 years. I waited till he gets his first job to tell my parents abut him. When the time came we both informed in our family that we want to get married. His father said yes initially and asked my family to meet at a common place. Later once my family agreed and came and called to inform his family, his mother denied saying his father is against this marriage. My parents called my boyfriend and asked whether he wants to marry me without his father approval and he said obviously!!! Why wouldn’t I? After 4 months, me and my boyfriend set a date and informed both our family that we are getting married on this date on july. My family has been always supportive and they support me here as well. But his family reacted differently saying we can’t allow you to marry on this date as this month is his birth month (some silly excuses) and they informed we can assure you we will get you married to your girlfriend in November or December. That time my boyfriend also agreed with his mother knowing that all wedding venues were booked and I have paid some kind of advance amount as well. And NOW!! My family went crazy over him saying howcome he called off this marriage?? My boyfriend is asking me please give me a second chance that I will convince my parents to marry you in November or December. If they disagree i will move out and marry you only. How can I trust him this time? SHOULD I?

I understand you are in a difficult situation and trusting someone once they have broken it is difficult. I also understand your parent's concern. I am sure you do too. Now, the real question is, do you want to give him another chance? I know he broke your trust by moving the dates suddenly, but maybe let's try to find out why he did it.

You have been with him for a long time. You should have some clue about the type of person he is; it is totally up to you to decide whether you want to give him another chance or move on with your life. Neither would be a wrong choice. But it should be your choice. Look at the pros and cons. All things he got right to date and the wrongs he did too. Weigh them against each other and by the end of it, you should have some clarity.

Asked on - Jun 26, 2024 | Not Answered yet
Thank you sir

Hello maa’m!! am in love with my boyfriend since 18 years. I waited till he gets his first job to tell my parents abut him. When the time came we both informed in our family that we want to get married. His father said yes initially and asked my family to meet at a common place. Later once I family agreed and came and called to inform his family, his mother denied saying his father is against this marriage. My parents called my boyfriend and asked whether he wants to marry me without his father approval and he said obviously!!! Why wouldn’t I? Then me and my boyfriend set a date and informed both our family that we are getting married on this date on july. My family has been always supportive and they support me here as well. But his family reacted differently saying we can’t allow you to marry on this date as this month is his birth month (some silly excuses) and they informed we can assure you we will get you married to your girlfriend in November or December. That time my boyfriend also agreed with his mother knowing that all wedding venues were booked and I have paid some kind of advance amount as well. And NOW!! My family went wild over him saying howcome he called of this marriage?? My boyfriend is asking me please give me a second chance that I will convince my parents to marry you in November or December. If they disagree i will move out and marry you only. How can I trust him this time? SHOULD I?
Ans: Dear Suwon,
When someone does not keep their word, trusting them becomes difficult, isn't it?
Maybe they had their reasons for canceling and pushing the wedding to a later date, but that could have been done taking your parents' into confidence. It shows a lack of empathy as to how much work the girls' side would have put in to pull off something.
Anyway, I am sure this question has crossed your mind as well...are they playing this game as the parents are still not keen on getting their son married to you?
You really must sit down and talk to your boyfriend; this kind of influence on him and he will keep oscillating back and forth like a pendulum...
Next step, have both the sets of parents talk to one another and clarify whatever is going on on their minds. The boys' side intentions become clear to your parents and they will be able to give you a clearer picture as well.
So, before you jump around to do anything, please talk to your boyfriend first and then have your parents talk to his and bring clarity ti the entire situation, after which decisions will be well-thought out and you will also be sure of the next steps to take. You can trust him only and only if he comes clean and is truthful about what is going on...So, ask and ask till you know what you want to know.

Dating, Relationships Expert - Answered on Jul 15, 2024

m in love with my boyfriend since 18 years. I waited till he gets his first job to tell my parents abut him. When the time came we both informed in our family that we want to get married. His father said yes initially and asked my family to meet at a common place. Later once I family agreed and came and called to inform his family, his mother denied saying his father is against this marriage. My parents called my boyfriend and asked whether he wants to marry me without his father approval and he said obviously!!! Why wouldn’t I? Then me and my boyfriend set a date and informed both our family that we are getting married on this date on july. My family has been always supportive and they support me here as well. But his family reacted differently saying we can’t allow you to marry on this date as this month is his birth month (some silly excuses) and they informed we can assure you we will get you married to your girlfriend in November or December. That time my boyfriend also agreed with his mother knowing that all wedding venues were booked and I have paid some kind of advance amount as well. And NOW!! My family went wild over him saying howcome he called of this marriage?? My boyfriend is asking me please give me a second chance that I will convince my parents to marry you in November or December. If they disagree i will move out and marry you only. How can I trust him this time? SHOULD I?
Ans: Dear Suwon,

I am investing : 2000 in SBI PSU mutual fund, 2000 in Quant Small Cap Fund direct growth, 1000 in SBI Small Cap Fund, 1000 in Aditya Birla PSU Equity Fund, 1000 for ICICI Infrastructure Fund . I need 20 lac after year. Pls suggest .
Ans: Current Investment Overview

You are investing Rs 7,000 monthly in various mutual funds. Your goal is to accumulate Rs 20 lakhs in one year.

Assessment of Current Portfolio

SBI PSU Mutual Fund:
Focuses on public sector units. It's sector-specific and carries higher risk.
Quant Small Cap Fund Direct Growth:
Invests in small-cap companies. High risk with potential for high returns.
SBI Small Cap Fund:
Another small-cap fund. High growth potential but volatile.
Aditya Birla PSU Equity Fund:
Similar to SBI PSU fund, with sector-specific risk.
ICICI Infrastructure Fund:
Invests in infrastructure sector. Sector-specific risks apply.

Investment Strategy Adjustment

Balanced Portfolio:
Diversify investments into balanced funds for stability. This helps mitigate sector-specific risks.

Debt Funds:
Consider investing in debt funds for stability and lower risk. They provide more predictable returns.

Equity Funds:
Maintain some investment in equity funds for growth. Choose funds with a good track record.

Achieving the Rs 20 Lakh Goal

Lump Sum Investment:
Consider a lump sum investment in a balanced fund or debt fund. This could help you reach your goal with lower risk.

Increase SIP Amount:
Increasing your SIP amount will boost your savings. Focus on funds with consistent returns.

Short-Term Debt Funds:
Invest in short-term debt funds for better returns than a savings account or FD. They are less volatile.

Your current investments are sector-specific and high-risk. Diversifying into balanced and debt funds will provide stability. Increasing your SIP amount or making a lump sum investment in a balanced fund can help achieve your Rs 20 lakh goal in one year.

Hi, I am 63 retired having Rs 130 lakhs in FDs. I have two apartments debt free and yearly medical insurance payment of 30000 please advise how to re-plan my investments to achieve maximum savings and with monthly expense of Rs 50000.
Ans: Current Financial Overview
Age: 63 years old
Status: Retired
Investments: Rs. 130 lakhs in fixed deposits
Assets: Two debt-free apartments
Medical Insurance: Annual payment of Rs. 30,000
Monthly Expenses: Rs. 50,000
Investment Replanning Strategy
Recommendation: Keep Rs. 10 lakhs in a liquid fund or savings account for emergencies.

Reason: This ensures quick access to funds without penalties.

Monthly Income Generation
Recommendation: Invest Rs. 60 lakhs in a mix of debt mutual funds and Senior Citizen Savings Scheme (SCSS).

Reason: Debt mutual funds offer stability and better returns than FDs. SCSS offers attractive interest rates and is a safe investment for senior citizens.

Long-term Growth
Recommendation: Allocate Rs. 40 lakhs in balanced or hybrid mutual funds.

Reason: These funds balance risk and reward, offering potential for capital appreciation while providing stability.

Recommendation: Ensure your health insurance covers adequate medical expenses.

Reason: Rising healthcare costs can deplete savings quickly.

Recommendation: Diversify Rs. 20 lakhs across different investment vehicles like corporate bonds, gold funds, or international funds.

Reason: Diversification reduces risk and enhances potential returns.

Income Strategy for Monthly Expenses
Withdrawals: Set up a systematic withdrawal plan (SWP) from debt mutual funds for monthly income.

Monthly Withdrawal: Rs. 50,000 to cover monthly expenses.

Reason: SWPs provide a regular income stream while allowing the principal to grow or remain stable.

Emergency Fund: Maintain Rs. 10 lakhs in a liquid fund for emergencies.

Monthly Income: Use debt mutual funds and SCSS to generate monthly income.

Long-term Growth: Invest in balanced mutual funds for growth and stability.

Health Insurance: Ensure adequate coverage for medical expenses.

Diversification: Spread Rs. 20 lakhs across different asset classes for risk management.

Hi Sir, I am 41 years old working in Dubai. My invesrment portfolio is as follows, 65 lakhs in MF, 5 lakhs in direct shares, 10 lakh in FD for emergencies. My monthly SIP is 1 lakh in a portfolio with goal of retirement in 14 years with corpus of 10 crores, current valuation is 60 lakh. And 50 thousand in a portfolio with goal of kids education in 12 years with corpus of 3 crores, current valuation is 5 lakh. I have a term plan with 1 million AED cover, no mediclaim other than company provided. No loans. Kindly advise if am well placed to achieve my goals or need to do changes to my portfolio and investments. After retirement in 14 years from now, and on reaching corpus of 10 Cr, can i withdraw 40 Lkahs annually for expenses, while my portfolio still growing by 8 to 10 percent? Thanking you in advance
Ans: Current Financial Overview
Age: 41 years old
Location: Dubai
Investment Portfolio:
Rs. 65 lakhs in mutual funds
Rs. 5 lakhs in direct shares
Rs. 10 lakhs in fixed deposits for emergencies
Monthly SIPs:
Rs. 1 lakh for retirement (goal: 10 crores in 14 years)
Rs. 50,000 for kids' education (goal: 3 crores in 12 years)
Insurance: Term plan with 1 million AED cover
Healthcare: No personal mediclaim other than company-provided
Liabilities: No loans
Analysis of Current Portfolio
Your portfolio is well-diversified across mutual funds, direct shares, and fixed deposits. You have a clear goal for retirement and your children's education, and you're investing consistently towards these goals.

65 lakhs in mutual funds: This is a solid foundation. Ensure these are diversified across large-cap, mid-cap, small-cap, and multi-cap funds to balance risk and returns.
SIPs: Your current SIPs are substantial and should help you achieve your goals if market conditions remain favorable.
Direct Shares
5 lakhs in direct shares: This adds a higher risk but potentially higher return element to your portfolio. Ensure these investments are in blue-chip companies or well-researched growth stocks.
Fixed Deposits
10 lakhs in FDs for emergencies: This is prudent and ensures liquidity in case of emergencies.
Retirement Goal
Current Situation
Current Valuation: Rs. 60 lakhs
SIP for Retirement: Rs. 1 lakh monthly
Goal: Rs. 10 crores in 14 years
Assessment
Assuming an average annual return of 12%, your current investments and SIPs should help you reach your retirement goal. Regularly review and rebalance your portfolio to stay aligned with your target.

Kids' Education Goal
Current Situation
Current Valuation: Rs. 5 lakhs
SIP for Education: Rs. 50,000 monthly
Goal: Rs. 3 crores in 12 years
Assessment
Assuming an average annual return of 12%, your current investments and SIPs should help you reach your education goal. Monitor the performance and adjust if necessary.

Additional Recommendations
Personal Mediclaim: Consider taking a personal health insurance policy in addition to your company-provided cover. This ensures coverage if you change jobs or post-retirement.
Portfolio Diversification
Diversify Further: If not already done, include debt funds, international funds, and sector-specific funds to diversify and reduce risk.
Regular Reviews: Conduct annual reviews of your portfolio to ensure it's on track to meet your goals.
Withdrawal Strategy Post-Retirement
Withdraw Rs. 40 lakhs annually: Assuming an average annual portfolio growth of 8-10%, withdrawing Rs. 40 lakhs annually is feasible. However, consider a mix of systematic withdrawal plans (SWPs) and lump sum withdrawals to manage tax and liquidity.
Continue Current SIPs: Your current SIP amounts and portfolio composition are well-aligned with your goals.
Diversify and Review: Ensure your portfolio is diversified and regularly reviewed.
Health Insurance: Obtain a personal mediclaim policy.
Retirement Withdrawals: Plan for systematic withdrawals to sustain your portfolio growth post-retirement.

Hi I am 28yrs old , my monthly in-hand salary is 1lakh , currently I am paying previous personal loans after October I'm debt free , currently I am investing ELSS mutual funds monthly 5k and lic moneback policy for monthly 5k , and investing in gold monthly 6k . Suggest me how to save money which gave me bulk amount to buy a 3bhk house in metropolitan city and retirement plan.
Ans: Current Financial Situation

You are 28 years old with a monthly in-hand salary of Rs 1 lakh. You are currently paying off personal loans, which will be completed by October. Your current investments include Rs 5,000 in ELSS mutual funds, Rs 5,000 in a LIC moneyback policy, and Rs 6,000 in gold.

Post-Debt Investment Strategy

Once your loans are cleared, you will have more disposable income. This is an excellent opportunity to reallocate your funds towards achieving your goals.

Building a House Fund

Increase SIP in Mutual Funds:

Post-October, consider increasing your ELSS SIP. Additionally, diversify into other mutual funds like large-cap, mid-cap, and multi-cap funds. This will help you build a substantial corpus over time.
Liquid Funds for Short-Term Goals:

Park a portion of your savings in liquid funds. This ensures liquidity while earning better returns than a savings account.
Fixed Deposits (FDs):

Consider investing a part in FDs for a fixed return. This adds stability to your portfolio.

Diversified Mutual Funds:

Continue with your ELSS for tax benefits and long-term growth. Also, add balanced funds and debt funds to ensure a stable return.
Public Provident Fund (PPF):

Start investing in PPF for safe, long-term returns and tax benefits. It has a lock-in period but offers attractive interest rates.
National Pension System (NPS):

Invest in NPS for retirement. It offers market-linked returns and additional tax benefits under Section 80CCD(1B).

Reevaluate LIC Policy

LIC moneyback policies typically offer lower returns. Consider switching to term insurance for higher coverage at a lower premium. Redirect the savings into mutual funds for better returns.

Gold Investments

Gold is a good hedge but typically offers lower returns. Keep it as a smaller portion of your portfolio. Diversify into other assets for better growth.

To buy a 3BHK in a metropolitan city, you need a disciplined savings and investment approach. Increase your mutual fund SIPs post-debt, start a PPF and NPS, and reevaluate your LIC policy. Diversifying your investments will help you build a substantial corpus for both your house and retirement.